Tuesday, April 15, 2008

640. The Crossing-Place - Tomas Tranströmer (2)

Translated from the Swedish by Robin Fulton

Ice-wind in my eyes and the suns dance
in the kaleidoscope of tears as I cross
the street that's followed me so long, the street
where Greenland-summer shines from puddles.

Around me the whole strength of the street swarms,
power that remembers nothing, wants nothing.
For a thousand years, in the earth deep
under traffic the unborn forest quietly waits.

I get the idea that the street can see me.
Its sight is so dim the sun itself
is a gray ball in black space.
But right now I am shining––the street sees me!

Tomas Tranströmer - Street Crossing
Translated from the Swedish by Robert Bly

Cold winds hit my eyes, and two or three suns
dance in the kaleidoscope of tears, as I cross
this street I know so well,
where the Greenland summer shines from snowpools.

The street's massive life swirls around me;
it remembers nothing and desires nothing.
Far under the traffic, deep in earth,
the unborn forest waits, still, for a thousand years.

It seems to me that the street can see me.
Its eyesight is so poor the sun itself
is a gray ball of yarn in black space.
But for a second I am lit. It sees me.

No comments: